Elementary Format Guidelines
Teams want to make exciting websites, but please focus on fact-finding. First, your team should work on the project's technical focus and find a technical advisor. Then make the website, which includes the Opening, Team Profile, Teaming and Communication, and Design screens.
The Opening (first) Screen that must have your team's:
- ISTF Project Number, within this statement: "ISTF Project # (give your team's ISTF number _____) was made
for the 2016-2017 Internet Science and Technology Fair."
- project title.
- National Critical Technology (NCT) and
- specific technology application (focus of the project).
- 50-word statement (showing the relationship between your team's problem
- school or organization and the state in which it is.
Team Profile Screen
The Team Profile Screen that must have the names of the:
- students on your team (using only first names and first letters of the
last names), but only if your parents, your teacher and your school's
- team's teacher and any other teachers at your school who helped your
- team's school or organization and the state in which it is.
- other people who helped your team (include their title or relationship).
- team's technical advisor(s), if the advisor gives his/her approval,
please also include:
- the company or organization where he or she works, and
- his or her position/title.
If your team:
- has more than one technical advisor, please include all
advisors on this screen.
- is unable to find a technical advisor, please include
information on the team's efforts to get a technical advisor,
such as e-mail sent, places contacted, etc.
Team Assessment Screen
The Team Assessment Screen must include:
- two 100-word paragraphs written by the team on what they experienced
- teaming and communication (how it progressed between: students, students
and the teacher, and students and the technical advisor), and
- research and innovation (what
your team learned about researching and innovating a solution to a real world problem).
- three lessons your team learned during the program.
The Design Screen that must
- visual representation that must:
- relate directly to Component One - Task Two of the Content Guidelines (the team's
NCT technical solution).
- involve some kind of design that:
- is, for example, a detailed pictorial drawing,
illustration, computer-generated image, or flowchart
that specifies the steps involved in a process) of the
team's technical solution.
- includes a description of all major mechanical parts of
the design using labels with arrows.
- appear on the final project website in digital format.
NOTE: Please go to the Design Gallery for examples (included before the addition of
- Your ISTF project should have at least six screens but not more than 25
- Graphics, pictures, charts, scanned items, video and/or sound are
allowed if they make your team's project better.
All additional screens must have direct hyperlinks to:
- information important to the project, so that judges can easily find it.
- For instance, do not use a hyperlink to the opening page of a
company's website when the information you want to show is
located under "Special Projects." The hyperlink should
go directly to "Special Projects."
- original sources of facts, figures, graphs or pictures taken from the
- Judges check the sources (using these hyperlinks) to decide if
the information is useful and fits the Content
- other sites incorporated right into the text.
- Teams have made bibliographies (or Reference or Credits pages)
with all the links on one page. But incorporated links let
judges easily check the content and its Internet sources.
NOTE: Your team must follow your grade
level's guidelines to qualify for judging.